[development] Do not let postgresql hold back great patches

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Mon Nov 12 18:15:01 UTC 2007

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 12:23:37 -0500
Richard Morse <remorse at partners.org> wrote:

> On Nov 12, 2007, at 11:46 AM, Chris Johnson wrote:
>
> > 2.  Not many Drupal sites use Postgres, so why support them?
> > Maybe there would be more, if we supported Postgres.

> Once all of the modules I use support PostgreSQL, I intend to
> switch over. It bugs me having to run both databases, and
> everything else we do uses PostgreSQL (or Oracle, but that's not on
> my servers...).

In my experience modules needs very minor tweaks to run under pgsql.
Furthermore most modules are simpler and smaller than core... I know
that if one upgrade break up something most of the time it will
require 5 minutes to fix pgsql compatibility back.
I wouldn't dare with core.

Again a Chicken-and-Egg situation.

If it would be easier to implement modules that support both DB...
One way is actually provide an api that hides the DB... another is
suggesting a standard guideline to support different db in modules.

For the reasons expressed I'd feel as a big loss if drupal will
support one DB only... even if by a miracle it would be pgsql.

BTW as someone pointed out if drupal would be designed with pgsql in
mind first... mysql would seem dumb and missing features etc...

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it