[development] New core install profiles for D6? (was Re:Early Drupal 6 review from Chris Messina)

Daniel F. Kudwien news at unleashedmind.com
Wed Nov 14 14:48:26 UTC 2007

> Quoting Dries Buytaert <dries.buytaert at gmail.com>:

> >> To clarify, you mean some install profiles that ship with core
> >> *which only include core modules*, right?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > --
> > Dries Buytaert  ::  http://www.buytaert.net/

If we ship Drupal 6 with additional install profiles, we should also have a
designated maintainer for each one of them. Each profile maintainer should
be primarily using "his" profile for own sites and she/he should have deep
insight into the market the profile deals with.

By writing this, I actually think that development speed in core could be
too slow for having great install profiles. See: any improvements to a
blogging profile would have to wait for D7.

Conclusion: I would rather suggest to write detailed documentation about
developing install profiles and support Derek in realizing his efforts of
pre-packaged install profiles, instead of shipping Drupal with poor "example
profiles". Users evaluating Drupal for a blog would not know of contributed
install profiles. So they would test that blogging profile in core and
probably head over to another blog-ready system, because modules in Drupal
core do not provide as much features as other blogging systems.

sun