[development] Early Drupal 6 review from Chris Messina

Richard Morse remorse at partners.org
Wed Nov 14 17:32:10 UTC 2007

[snipped long discussion of alternatives to "taxonomy", "vocabulary",
"term"]

I'm sorry to interrupt, but I'm still not sure why there is a
problem. Although I don't claim to be a master at using
taxonomy.module, it was very obvious to me after the first two
minutes of using Drupal what the terms meant. Why do we need to
change them? The only thing I would change is the "categories" menu
item back to "taxonomies". Is there any advantage to using less
correct and more ambiguous terms to name things?

The entire topic of categorization is going to require some learning
in order to make use of it. If there are default profiles, as has
recently been discussed, which have already set up a default
vocabulary as a "tagging" vocabulary, then the needs of the beginning
blogger has been taken care of. Anything complex, users are going to
need to read a bit, or play around for a while, to figure out -- so
what is the extra minute to realize that a vocabulary is a collection
of terms?

(If people can't stand the word "vocabulary", why not "dictionary",
which is also a collection of terms?)

Confused,
Ricky

The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine at 800-856-1983 and properly dispose of this information.