[development] Early Drupal 6 review from Chris Messina

David Norman davidn at cgraphics.com
Wed Nov 14 17:36:38 UTC 2007

Richard Morse wrote:
> The entire topic of categorization is going to require some learning in
> order to make use of it. If there are default profiles, as has recently
> been discussed, which have already set up a default vocabulary as a
> "tagging" vocabulary, then the needs of the beginning blogger has been
> taken care of. Anything complex, users are going to need to read a bit,
> or play around for a while, to figure out -- so what is the extra minute
> to realize that a vocabulary is a collection of terms?
>
> (If people can't stand the word "vocabulary", why not "dictionary",
> which is also a collection of terms?)

When I explain taxonomy to a blogger, I say it's Drupal's term for
tagging, and they light up with understanding. Coming from a blogger
perspective, renaming everything to tagger.module might make the most sense.

Dictionaries have definitions whereas what we're discussing here is just
a list of terms.