[development] Early Drupal 6 review from Chris Messina

Richard Morse remorse at partners.org
Wed Nov 14 18:17:36 UTC 2007

On Nov 14, 2007, at 12:39 PM, Alex Cochrane wrote:

> term --> category

BTW, I also disagree with this idea very strongly. A term is not the
same thing as a category.

Bringing the dictionary into play,

term: a word of phrase used to describe a thing or express a concept
category: a class or division of people or things regarded as having
particular shared characteristics

Terms are much more generic than categories -- think of the glossary
module, which uses a vocabulary to list the terms that have
definitions. I have a module which currently implements its own
hierarchical structure, which I'm planning to move over to taxonomy
when I rewrite it Drupal 6. The items it structures are not
"categories", but "entities". Then there are keywords, or related
terms, where the term may not be categorical, but still be related to
the post or be descriptive of it in some way.

Ricky

The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine at 800-856-1983 and properly dispose of this information.