[development] Renaming "taxonomy" terminology? (was Re: Early Drupal 6 review from Chris Messina)

Adam Knight codepoet at codepoetry.net
Wed Nov 14 19:00:52 UTC 2007

On Nov 14, 2007, at 12:32 PM, Derek Wright wrote:

> Finally, I agree with the last few comments in this thread that the
> biggest usability problem was the (IMHO foolish) decision to say
> "taxonomy is too scary, let's inconsistently refer to it as
> 'categories' in some places in the UI".  That right there is the
> root of most of our trouble.  Renaming the menu item back to just
> "taxonomy" and removing places in the UI (other than help texts)
> that use this ambiguous terminology would be a big win.  I'd say
> "step forward", but it'd be a correction to our current regression. ;)

Seconded.  Drupal has a powerful taxonomy system.  Embrace it, don't
hide it.  Teach people why it's great and useful and get them hooked
on it.  My sites wind up having about two or three vocabularies per
node type and it helps a ton to organize things and make it
accessible, and I'm sure I'm not alone.  Pushing taxonomies as being
more powerful than either tags or categories just shows up the other
CMS solutions, IMO.

Rather than hack up the product, someone (not it) needs to make a "Why
Taxonomies are Powerful" page on d.o that sells the feature as it is
rather than downplaying it and explaining how it can be made to be
just like what every other product has with a little tweaking.  Be
bold.  It's a differentiating feature and needs to be played as such
on the site and in the product.  Something like http://drupal.org/handbook/modules/taxonomy
  but a little less "This is how it works" and more "This is why it
will change how you work with your site".

I mean, guys, it's not even on the main features page: http://drupal.org/features
   That's an oversight!  Solve the problem by being proud of it and
educating people -- loudly and often.

> p.s. If we end up renaming "taxonomy" to "classification", it *must*
> be in D7, since it's totally evil to have the menu paths, UI
> elements, module name, and function names all disagree.  It'll be a
> huge task to port everything to hook_classification_*, and that
> *needs* to be D7, not D6.

It'd be a mistake to change it to "classification" in any case, but
these are valid points despite that.  The whole problem is consistency
and changing it now would cause more of that.  I'd suggest exactly
what you said earlier, move it all back to taxonomy, vocabularies, and
terms for a release and try the education/marketing/propaganda
approach.  It should work well.

The reason it was confusing earlier (4.6?) was because people were so
ready to _almost_ apologize for implementing organization as a full
classical taxonomy system and they reassured potential users that it
was just like categories, just a little more powerful and
complicated.  Change the selling point.  It's more powerful than
categories and tags combined and everyone else's solution is merely a
subset of this.  This is how the feature should have always been,
across the board, and we're doing it so _you_ can have that power.
Just want categories?  Make a Categories vocabulary and move on.
Tags?  Same.  But if you want something more, Drupal can _certainly_
do that as well.

The solution's still just words, but different words in a different
location and with a different purpose.

Adam Knight
"Every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do."  -- Voltaire