[development] Renaming "taxonomy" terminology? (was Re: Early Drupal 6 review from Chris Messina)

David Cohen drupal at dave-cohen.com
Wed Nov 14 20:00:27 UTC 2007

I rarely read bikeshed (www.bikeshed.org) type threads, let alone weigh
in on them.  But I'll offer a suggestion here and hopefully wont regret
it.

It's undeniable there is class of users who is put off by and/or
intimidated by and/or has trouble understanding words like "taxonomy,"
"category," "vocabulary" and presumably others with  three+ syllables
;) .  That's why these discussions come up from time to time.

There have been a number of suggestions that might make things easier to
grok for newbies and users who don't want to get more than ankle deep in
Drupal.  But every one I've seen uses some term that some people on this
list really don't like.  In fact there's only one term I've seen no
objection to, and that is "term".  Therefore I suggest:

taxonomy.module -> term.module (or just leave it taxonomy.module)
Vocabularies -> Term Sets
Terms -> Terms

Perhaps with this scheme new users and clients will not be confused when
they first see them, and will eventually discover that term sets can be
entire hierarchies with lots of features.  By then they may know enough
about Drupal that these features will be a pleasant surprise and not a
source of confusion.

Personally, I've never had a problem with the words taxonomy,
vocabulary, etc.  That's why I called this a bikeshed argument earlier.
Because to me personally the names make little difference.  The power of
the features remains important to me.

Thanks for reading my humble opinions,

-Dave

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 10:32:02 -0800, "Derek Wright" <drupal at dwwright.net>
said:
> [Am I the only one who thinks it's worth forking this monster thread
> into appropriately named subthreads to cover the various parallel
> conversations going on?]

Definitely not.