[development] Taxonomy labeling changes

Neil Drumm drumm at delocalizedham.com
Wed Nov 14 21:09:27 UTC 2007

On Nov 14, 2007 12:27 PM, Michelle Cox <mcox at charter.net> wrote:
> On 11/14/2007 2:09:58 PM, Neil Drumm (drumm at delocalizedham.com) wrote:
> >Avoid use of "Taxonomy" in the UI. The overall system, despite the
> >module name, is "Categories."
>
> I took a quick peek on my site and the only place I see it called
> "Categories" is on the menu label and the title of this page:
> ?=admin/content/taxonomy . Note the URL to that page.  Seems to me like the
> overall system is "Taxonomy" with a half attempt to change it to
> "Categories" that failed. What's wrong with rolling it back while we think
> about what best to call it in 7?

And the heading of the fieldset on node/add/{content type with more
than one vocabulary}. The name of the overall system simply is not
used a whole lot. This naming system applies for Drupal 4.5 through 5,
and may be changed for Drupal 6.

We have quite a few precedents for using different labels in UI from
what we use in the API or URLs:
- node is content
- path is URL alias
- watchdog is log
These differences happen and are okay. It would be nice to reconcile
everything, but changing a core module name, and breaking a chunk of
contributions, is harder than changing the UI label.

--
Neil Drumm
http://delocalizedham.com