[development] New core install profiles for D6? (was Re:Early Drupal 6 review from Chris Messina)

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Fri Nov 16 08:24:51 UTC 2007

On Nov 15, 2007, at 10:11 PM, adrian rossouw wrote:

> I don't think that the hook_profile_modules is very sensible for
> install profile module requirements,

I don't, either.

> and I fully intend on introducing .info files for Drupal 7.

I fully intend to implement my changes by introducing .info files
(using the D6 .info syntax parser embedded in the d.o packaging
script).  So, for D5 and D6, only the packaging script reads it, but
we can still include and ship .info files from here on out (using the
more powerful D6 .info syntax for dependencies, which is why I helped
Steven make that change (.info for themes[1]) in D6 in the first
place). In D7, we just expand on what's in them, and the role that
the installer and/or the rest of core interacts with them.

> This would mean that install profile packaging will get broken
> during the drupal 7 development, and will need to be maintained, in
> tandem with the old mechanism.

_Worst_ case is that the syntax for .info files changes again in D7.
If that happens at all, hopefully it'll just be adding a superset of
the D6 functionality, not breaking it.  Either way, modules and
themes will be bitten by this if we do it, so I don't care if a few
have to update their install_profile.info, too.

Cheers,
-Derek (dww)

[1] http://drupal.org/node/132018
(ugh, that was a painful issue, I almost hate to post a the link).