[development] Do not let postgresql hold back great patches

Barry Jaspan barry at jaspan.org
Fri Nov 16 17:27:06 UTC 2007

> In my opinion, any patch should be committable to core once it works
> on mysql and has a decent hope (use common sense) to work on
> postgresql.

Kind of like saying: "Software really only needs to support Windows.
The other platforms don't matter."  Except in this case our "Windows"
is only 30% of the market.

You need to understand that MySQL is broken in a lot of ways.  A lot
of the "missing support for pgsql" bugs are actually "we are depending
on extremely broken and non-portable mysql behavior" bugs.  If we go
down the route of accepting MySQL-only code, it will be very difficult
to get out.

> Prime example: http://drupal.org/node/146466 this is the most
> important patch we have currently as it makes Drupal search speedy and
> nice. And it is more or less on hold just because noone is sure
> whether the postgresql update works or not.

Actually, that patch was broken for MySQL too (see
http://drupal.org/node/192348) and got committed anyway because no one
tested its upgrade path.  Separate rant.

Thanks,

Barry