[development] Do not let postgresql hold back great patches

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Fri Nov 16 23:13:55 UTC 2007

"Karoly Negyesi" <karoly at negyesi.net> wrote:

> > In my opinion, the reason for that is that it's sooo damn easy
> > to install PostgreSQL and test a patch against it.
>
> You are kidding me. First of all, we do not even have enough patch testers. Second, damn easy to install PostgreSQL? Really? Where is the handbook page? The video?

I'm not kidding you.  Of course, if your distro sucks, it might
not be easy, but on FreeBSD, I do
make install; /usr/local/etc/rc.d/postgresql initdb; /usr/local/etc/rc.d/postgresql start

If you need a video to get you through that, you're not going to
be much help as a patch tester anyway ...

Have you even tried installing it?  You're criticizing quite a
bit, but I'm not seeing any first-hand description, just a
baseless dismissal.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com