[development] Renaming "taxonomy" terminology? (was Re: Early Drupal 6 review from Chris Messina)

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sat Nov 17 04:34:36 UTC 2007

On Nov 14, 2007 3:26 PM, Anton <anton.list at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 15/11/2007, Derek Wright <drupal at dwwright.net> wrote:
> >
> > [snipped good stuff]
> >
> > Finally, I agree with the last few comments in this thread that the
> > biggest usability problem was the (IMHO foolish) decision to say
> > "taxonomy is too scary, let's inconsistently refer to it as
> > 'categories' in some places in the UI".

The key here is "inconsistently" and "some places", not the decision to
rename in and of itself.

If this was to be consistent, there would not have been an issue.

"Taxonomy" is fine if you audience are computer scientists, or botanists.
Vocabulary is an overloaded term, and hence confusing. If all were renamed
to unique, clear terms with proper help text all over the UI, there are no
issues at all.

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com