[development] drupal on postgresql benchmark

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon Nov 26 19:00:51 UTC 2007

On Nov 26, 2007 1:36 PM, Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com> wrote:

> I have one additional question.  You say the following:
> "MySQL's query cache makes its performance better. This can be
> demonstrated by restarting MySQL, then visiting the home page of the site
> and seeing the query time in devel's output. However this is not as marked
> as what PostgreSQL takes."
>
> Could you explain/clarify that statement?

What I meant is that even when the query cache does not kick in, MySQL is
still faster than PostgreSQL.

An easy way to do that without fiddling with MySQL variables and such is to
restart mysql, then hit the front page, see what devel says, then hit it
again and see the difference. That difference is due to the query cache.

With query cache not yet caching any queries

 Page execution time was *92.74* ms. Executed *98* queries in *30.04*
milliseconds.

With page's queries cached in the query cache

  Page execution time was *63.61* ms. Executed *98* queries in *10.38*
milliseconds.

Still, 93 ms is faster than PostgreSQL's 130 ms.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com