[development] Suggestion for User Permissions

Steven Peck sepeck at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 17:45:53 UTC 2007

When creating a site admin role, there are several items I do not turn
on for the users, nor do I want them on for those sites.

Creating roles is generally a one time deal per role.  It is something
that 'even it is a 'pain' or 'inconvenient' should not be 'globally
allowed turn on'.  This comes to a security issue in that you should
determine your permission model.  It is not an 'OMFG usability issue'.
 It is a security issue.  I have always liked the default 'everything
is off' model because I then have to turn on things.

It may be inconvenient but it doesn't seem to be something to go into
hysterics over or claim usability as an overarching trump card.

If we are going to do this, then allowing it only once per role 'at
time of creation' seems the least harmful approach to easily allowing
people to shoot themselves in the foot to solve some users
'inconvenience'.

Steven Peck :: www.blkmtn.org