[development] Do not let postgresql hold back great patches

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Thu Nov 29 18:58:52 UTC 2007

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 09:28:28 -0500, Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com> wrote:

> *) The argument has been made that PostgreSQL compatibility is holding
>    Drupal back, then 1 (One!) patch is referred to again and again.
>    How important is this one patch?  If this _1_ patch is holding
>    Drupal back, please commit it!

I think these issues were also stalled on cross-database compatibility issues:

http://drupal.org/node/174025
http://drupal.org/node/83738

> *) The argument was made that PostgreSQL is too complicated to install
>    and test on, yet I described the setup in a single email.  If anyone
>    found my instructions too difficult to follow, _please_ let me know
>    and I will go to efforts to clarify.

Please make a handbook page out of them, and put it near (probably as a child of) the "setting up a dev environment" handbook page.  We should probably have one for MySQL and one for Postgres (and if we add SQLite at a later date, one for that, too).  Email is far too ephemeral to be a good reference.  Thanks!

--Larry Garfield