[development] view + cck or views + form_alter

John Barreiros johnbarreiros2 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 23:31:28 UTC 2007

Hi All.

This particular site I'm building features a layout with a photo in the
upper right corner. The client wants to have the ability to specify the
image on every single page. I know I know, kind of whacked, but it's what
they want.

So, first step was to use cck to add a new field to the "page" type. I tried
imagefield but didn't like how you couldn't select an existing image. I
managed to whip together a new cck field which uses IMCE to select the image
(I'll up it to cvs after some more testing and some coworkers give me the
thumbs up on its quality).

Okay, so that takes care of any pages displaying a single node.

How do I handle views? There are a few views and they obviously need to have
the image customizable. It'd be nice if when creating a "view" to provide a
page, it inherited the cck fields from the "page" type.

Could I use form_alter to add the cck field to the views form?

Or is there some way when the "view" is being built I can extract the image
from the first node and pass it to page.tpl.php?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
-john