[development] Modules that integrate non-GPL PHP apps violate the GPL.

Cog Rusty cog.rusty at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 03:18:10 UTC 2007

On 9/6/07, Vivek Puri <crystalcube at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Karoly Negyesi <karoly at negyesi.net> wrote:
>
> > drupal.org does
> > not host such applications, so what's the big
> > deal...?
>

> You cant be more wrong ;) take a look at
> http://drupal.org/project/smfforum , this is in
> violation of GPL as per this latest discussion. And
> its hosted on drupal. The module make direct calls do
> SMF API ( a non-GPL compliant ) product.

At last! Now we are talking. Wouldn't someone have to challenge the
conformance or the module with a particular  article of its attached
license to claim such a thing?

As a side-issue, there is also the question of "legitimate interest"
of the one who does challenge it. Doesn't the requirement of
legitimate interest exist in most countries? (IANAL either).