[development] Modules that integrate non-GPL PHP apps violate the GPL.

Vivek Puri crystalcube at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 6 04:26:01 UTC 2007

--- Cog Rusty <cog.rusty at gmail.com> wrote:

> > You cant be more wrong ;) take a look at
> > http://drupal.org/project/smfforum , this is in
> > violation of GPL as per this latest discussion.
> And
> > its hosted on drupal. The module make direct calls
> do
> > SMF API ( a non-GPL compliant ) product.
>
> At last! Now we are talking. Wouldn't someone have
> to challenge the
> conformance or the module with a particular  article
> of its attached
> license to claim such a thing?
>
> As a side-issue, there is also the question of
> "legitimate interest"
> of the one who does challenge it. Doesn't the
> requirement of
> legitimate interest exist in most countries? (IANAL
> either).

Its not so much as question of challenging it. The
fact is that module clearly is in violation of GPL and
still hosted on Drupal. So question is whats Drupal's
policy ? Still continue to say that d.o. is fully
compliant or  d.o. doesn't care ?

If we go by your logic then everyone will just use GPL
software and release their own modules as proprietary
license under the concept of "legitimate interest".
After all everyone has "legitimate interest" to not
release their own contributions as GPL ;)