[development] Modules that integrate non-GPL PHP apps violate the GPL.

Darren Oh darrenoh at sidepotsinternational.com
Mon Sep 10 00:06:17 UTC 2007

I wrote this quickly and failed to sum fully sum up the two claims
being made. Clarification:

1. The first claim concerns third-party code: you cannot use a GPL-
incompatible license for an app designed to be used with Drupal or a
Drupal module.

2. The second claim concerns the code of Drupal and contributed
modules: you cannot use the GPL for code designed to be used with a
third-party app unless a) you can distribute your code and the third-
party app together under the GPL as a combined work or b) you add an
exception clause giving up the first claim.