[development] Modules that integrate non-GPL PHP apps violatethe GPL.

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Mon Sep 10 17:00:58 UTC 2007

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 18:19:16 +0200, Jakob Persson <jakob at jakob-persson.com> wrote:

> Further, the "rule of thumb" definition re softwate in the Wikipedia
> article [1] seems to support Thomas point of view since it only allows
> exception of the "derivative work" rule for applications that serve as
> plugins and use functions in a library. Since Drupal is not a library
> and a module is not a plugin the logical outcome is given; a module must
> be considered "derivative work" and is therefore subject to GPL. You'd
> have to challenge those two premises to criticize the conclusion Thomas
> has drawn.

How exactly is a Drupal module not a plugin?  (Not a troll, a genuine question.)  I don't know of a legal definition of plugin, but from a technical standpoint they fit my understanding of what a plugin is, despite the name.  In the generic sense "module" would mean "somewhat discrete component of a system", while "plugin" would mean "swappable and optional component of a system".  (Again, not legal definitions.)

--Larry Garfield