[development] Modules that integrate non-GPL PHP apps violatethe GPL.

Jakob Persson jakob at jakob-persson.com
Mon Sep 10 18:26:37 UTC 2007

Larry Garfield wrote:

> How exactly is a Drupal module not a plugin?  (Not a troll, a genuine question.)  I don't know of a legal definition of plugin, but from a technical standpoint they fit my understanding of what a plugin is, despite the name.  In the generic sense "module" would mean "somewhat discrete component of a system", while "plugin" would mean "swappable and optional component of a system".  (Again, not legal definitions.)
>
> --Larry Garfield

Refering to the references I mentioned in my previous email the
conclusion I draw is that a Drupal module that utlizes hooks cannot be
considered a plugin since Drupal does not provide a defined interface.
By defined interface I mean a discrete set of public routines that can
be called by an application the same way Drupal uses GD to manipulate
bitmap data. A Drupal module uses and can use not only hooks but a wide
range of internal functions to Drupal (as well as of other modules)
since it has not access to a limited scope but to all the internals of
Drupal. The question here is not what a module does but what it is
allowed to do. Since Drupal fails to provide a defined interface a
Drupal module cannot be considered a plugin. Which may also be of
relevance is that that a module is perceptually and behaviorally (from
the user's POV) a part of Drupal.

Therefore a module *is* derivative work.

The same argument applies to a module that interfaces with third party
non-GPL-compatible software in the same fashion (a so called bridge).

Now this is old news. Jeff started this discussion quoting the FSF's
experts reaching the same conclusion as I have. What we need to focus on
is the issues that were raised - that is how do we allow Drupal modules
to interface with software available under non-GPL-compatible licenses
without violating the GPL.

So far many good ideas have been posted and there are others with much
more knowledge than I have who I know for certain can provide a viable
strategy to bring every contributor's code safely back into the GPL fold.