[development] Modules that integrate non-GPL PHP apps violate the GPL.

Anton anton.list at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 22:52:45 UTC 2007

On 11/09/2007, Kevin Reynen <kreynen at gmail.com> wrote:

> The current Drupal CVS policy doesn't differentiate between GPL and non-GPL.
>  The current policy is no third party code.  As it's been explained to me,
> if users can get the code somewhere else, it doesn't belong in Drupal's CVS.
>
> Nedjo suggested some revisions to the CVS policy to make it easier for
> developers to include small javascript libraries back in March
> (http://drupal.org/node/124978), but AFAIK the policy is still no third
> party code... GPL compatible or otherwise.

The CVS handbook is explicit about only hosting GPL code:

http://drupal.org/node/66113
http://drupal.org/node/103704

and nothing in Nedjos forum thread seemed to indicate that was changing.

But that reinforces my point - it is Drupal policies (either no 3rd
party code or GPL only code - take your pick) keeping TinyMCE out of
cvs.drupal.org not any licensing violations. I chose to use the "GPL
only" policy to make my point as jQuery makes the "no 3rd party code"
policy a bit more open to exceptions.

--
Cheers
Anton