[development] jQuery 1.2 is released

Gábor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Tue Sep 11 19:38:08 UTC 2007

On 9/11/07, Gerhard Killesreiter <gerhard at killesreiter.de> wrote:

> Earl Miles schrieb:
> >>
> >> Great, let's throw away all the effort that went into making it
> >> possible to have a beta before DrupalCon and delay even more!
> >
> > Yes, actually. I'd rather delay the beta than release Drupal 6 with a
> > jquery library whose plugins will not see further development. IN Drupal
> >  5, it started getting really hard to even FIND the plugins, as most
> > authors had removed the versions for jquery 1.0 so they wouldn't have to
> > deal with them. jquery 1.2 is expected to be a long term release. This
> > is a very worthwhile delay, IMO.
>
> Yep, I fully agree.

Dries and I discussed releasing a beta (finally) around the end of
this week. We discussed this before the jQuery 1.2 topic broke out,
but now I see no reason not to do a beta 1 this week. If there is so
strong an interest in jQuery 1.2 in D6 core, then a group of people
can easily go and do it in the remaining 3-4 days.

In the whole D6 relase cycle we have seen the latest jQuery fueling
the buzz around here, and we committed stuff from updates to updates.
I tried to look up where is it stated that 1.2 is going to stay with
us any longer then the previous versions (jQuery has a pretty speedy
development pace), but found nothing about it. Earl can probably show
us, where is this stated. Do not misunderstand what I say: I love
jQuery, used it in my own projects, but given previous experience, it
is hard to believe it straight away, that this release is going to be
stable for longer, so our users will easily use plugin modules and so
on, without installing a "jquery updater" module again.

Gabor