[development] jQuery 1.2 is released

Frando frando2 at unbiskant.org
Fri Sep 14 12:25:50 UTC 2007

To clarify. When it comes to PHP code, everything is absolutely clear: Never
allow Drupal to write its own code. Never. Ever. We really discussed this
often enough. There might be possiblities by using an FTP layer, though.
There's an issue for that somewhere.

JavaScript is different, though. For someone to exploit a Drupal site by
saving a modified, malicious JavaScript file at a path where it gets
included in every request, he needs a major security hole in the site (one
that allows him to save random files at random paths). Given that security
hole, he most likely has already other ways to add random, malicious
JavaScript to every page request (He could e.g. add a PHP block with no
title and text to each page which then includes the malicious JavaScript. He
could also add the JavaScript to the aggregated CSS file, which also lives
in the writeable file directory. JavaScript in CSS files gets executed by
most modern browsers.).

So, allowing Drupal to write its JavaScript files (which we already do in
Drupal 6 with the JavaScript aggregator) is not a security risk. If we would
count this as a security risk, we would have to get rid of  both the CSS and
the JS aggregator.

regards,
Frando