[development] who takes on drupal.module in contrib?

Gábor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Wed Sep 26 13:16:43 UTC 2007

Hi,

Dries agrees it is time to move drupal.module to contrib
(http://drupal.org/node/66241#comment-311037), which means people will
still be able to use the distributed authentication scheme for
backwards compatibility with previous Drupal versions, but we would
not need to explain why drupal.module's phone home feature collects
personal data - for which there is actually no reason anymore, given
that drupal.org does not collect this data for quite some time now.

This means that:

 - drupal.module needs a new name
 - the module needs a maintainer in contrib
 - it is probably in need of a little upgrade path to modify the auth
module name for distributed authenticated users according to the name
change

The question is who is interested in keeping at least the distributed
auth alive? As soon as the new project is created, and the initial
code is committed, we can remove drupal.module from D6-dev, and point
people there.

This will help keep D6 more secure (by removing the outdated dist auth
module) and would leave us with less to explain to privacy focused
people (by removing the unused/useless phone home feature).

Gabor