[development] Why does Drupal require so much memory?

Graeme McKibbin gmckibbin at iburst.co.za
Wed Apr 2 07:12:29 UTC 2008

Hi,
I'm getting the following error on a site,
"Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 20971520 bytes exhausted (tried
to allocate 1077617 bytes) in...sites/all/modules/views-5.x-1.6/
views_cache.inc on line 146"

The site basically has a content type with many computed and other
fields, but no images or large files etc. So I'm wondering why it
requires so much memory. I presume it's something to do with caching?

I'd asked the host to increase the max packets allowed and they made
it 20M, but that still doesn't work. So I've requested it to be
increased to 32M. But I'm concerned that in the future, I'll run into
the same problem.
Is there another a way to fix this?

Kind Regards,
Graeme McKibbin