[development] Why does Drupal require so much memory?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Apr 2 14:32:46 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 3:12 AM, Graeme McKibbin <gmckibbin at iburst.co.za>
wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm getting the following error on a site,"*Fatal error:* Allowed memory
> size of 20971520 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 1077617 bytes)
> in...sites/all/modules/views-5.x-1.6/views_cache.inc on line 146"
>
> The site basically has a content type with many computed and other fields,
> but no images or large files etc. So I'm wondering why it requires so much
> memory. I presume it's something to do with caching?
>
> I'd asked the host to increase the max packets allowed and they made it
> 20M, but that still doesn't work. So I've requested it to be increased to
> 32M. But I'm concerned that in the future, I'll run into the same problem.
> Is there another a way to fix this?

Graeme

Drupal itself (core) does not use a lot of memory.

When you start adding contrib modules, taxonomies and such, things are
different.

Normally, people fall victim to the open buffet syndrome.
http://2bits.com/articles/server-indigestion-the-drupal-contributed-modules-open-buffet-binge-syndrome.html

Here is a patch that would allow you to measure which module eats up memory
so you can attack the problem where it is.
http://2bits.com/articles/measuring-memory-consumption-by-drupal-bootstrap-and-modules.html

Here is another case where a module was modified (for something else) but
memory size was less after the change.
http://2bits.com/articles/bottleneck-replacing-taxonomy-term-count-nodes-in-taxonomy-dhtml.html

Also, using an op-code cache should make memory consumption by code go down
significantly. Try APC or xcache and see. If it is a data set size issue,
that will not help much.

When you think about it 32M is not much. Ubuntu server now comes with a
default settings of 128M for PHP5.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.