[development] Why does Drupal require so much memory?

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Apr 2 11:11:18 UTC 2008

Quoting Liam McDermott <liam at intermedia-online.com>:

> Graeme McKibbin wrote:
>> I'd asked the host to increase the max packets allowed and they made
>> it 20M, but that still doesn't work. So I've requested it to be
>> increased to 32M. But I'm concerned that in the future, I'll run
>> into the same problem.
>
> As an aside, and I may be wrong here, but isn't the max packets
> allowed a MySQL setting? Changing that isn't going to affect how much
> memory PHP has available to it.

In my test of D-6 for production I hit the max packet issue for the
form cache and the watchdog save.  I have a gigantic large taxonomy and
I can't edit the node because it runs out of memory trying to fill the
list of available terms to select.

> I think the setting you're looking for is: 'memory_limit' in ye olde
> php.ini I know this doesn't answer your question, sorry about that,
> thought it was worth mentioning though. :)

There isn't a setting large enough for me to edit the node.  I'm also
having an issue with the search function for authenticated users.  You
can search all you want unauthenticated which is about 99.9% of my
users so I'm not pinched for finding the reason.  I haven't been able
to determine what the difference is with the time I've spent looking.

Earnie -- http://for-my-kids.com/
-- http://give-me-an-offer.com/