[development] RFC: drupal as a moving target

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Mon Apr 28 23:43:04 UTC 2008

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 14:48:53 -0700
Earl Miles <merlin at logrus.com> wrote:

> Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
> > It doesn't work for me. I don't want and I can't get so involved
> > in Drupal core dev. It is over my possibility.

> Drupal is a meritocracy. In general, those who do very much resent
> being told what to do by those who don't do. If you are firmly in
> the camp of don't do, that also puts you in the camp of "doesn't
> get to tell the rest of us what to do."

So you'd say that an engineer doesn't have the right of proper
medical care cos he is not a doctor and doctors don't have the right
to use cars cos they are not engineers?

I'd say that demand and offer of a proper API go together.

As much as Drupal becomes more mature the group of people in contrib
will diverge from the group of people in core, and I'd consider this
good on many sides.

I'm not accusing anyone of making Drupal crap cos it is a moving
target. This is what is perceived by many... and not just cos the
documentation plainly say so.

If what you keep on saying is that you can have an impact on core
just if you're a core dev... well I'm going to switch to another
framework.
But we keep on reasoning on hyperbole and it looks it doesn't help.

You'd adjust your communication now for what you're planning
tomorrow, cos the people deciding if they are willing to invest in a
10K lines module they would like to know what will happen tomorrow.

And I don't think anyone is willing to scare off someone that is
going to write a 10K line module just because he doesn't get involved
in core dev. And anyway it seems that core decisions are made among a
10-20 people.

I'd like to know the experience of people behind ubercart or
ecommerce, i18n, views, panels...

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it