[development] RFC: drupal as a moving target

Earl Miles merlin at logrus.com
Tue Apr 29 16:42:34 UTC 2008

Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:
> Maybe we could introduce a code of conduct for contrib authors to not
> do major overhauls when a new version is due. Ie if I maintain a
> module for D6 and D7 comes out, I port it straight away to a D7-1
> version and then start a rewrite as D7-2.

The problem is, I am completely changing the API, and it seemed like it
would, in the end, be easier on the end users to deal with the API
change at the same time that they have to update their sites and modules
anyway. I didn't want to try and support both APIs in the same version,
because they are so drastically different, and NOT supporting both in
the same core version would mean all Views 1 API modules would totally
break with Views 2 installed and that would be unacceptable.

Believe me, the consequences for going the other direction are far, far
worse. This is why I forcefully nixed a couple of efforts to port Views
1 to D6; I simply do not want to deal with trying to support both APIs
simultaneously. Users would suffer for it, and so would I.

This would've gone faster if I'd had more of the community rallying, but
alas, I think a lot of the community rally cred got spent when dmitrig01
made his ill-timed "Views needs your help" post and then I was unable to
accept it.