[development] Advanced DB features was: RFC: drupal as a moving target

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Wed Apr 30 17:06:24 UTC 2008

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 09:45:46 -0700
"Joshua D. Drake" <jd at commandprompt.com> wrote:

> I admit that I tend to stay on the database side of things and a
> lot of what I do is fix deficiencies in the Drupal model by moving
> them properly into the database and having Drupal called stored
> procedures etc.. but I can say that the customers that we deal with

Interesting. I'm doing the same but I haven't touched core to avoid a
further burden in maintenance if I've to keep up with security
updates.

I think it would be enlightening to see where you exploited more
advanced DB functions. Even if I suppose you did with one DB in mind
it would still be interesting to know which were the features and
where you thought they really fit because D7 should support much more
DB features. Even if I doubt support for stored procedures is going
to find its way into Drupal since the core has to remain DB
agnostic and I think providing an abstraction layer to sp is hard some
oversight may help to see which are the features that could be more
relevant to support... I'm at least thinking to transactions.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it