[development] RFC: drupal as a moving target

Joshua D. Drake jd at commandprompt.com
Wed Apr 30 16:45:46 UTC 2008

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 08:34:01 -0700
"Caleb Gilbert" <caleb.gilbert at gmail.com> wrote:

> In addition to myself, I know at least one other (large) shop that
> has more or less committed to skip Drupal 6. This is what's happening
> and no one wants to deal with it and just poo-poos such talk as being
> irrelevant. But it is happening, and it's up to everyone to form
> their own opinion of any relevancy. (personally I'm fine with the

I can tell you for a fact that our customers are not jumping to 6. They
are all on 5 and will remain there for the foreseeable future.

> The real point of all this, which makes this discussion not just a
> pedantic exercise, is that I truly feel sorry for anyone starting up
> a big project right now who is just getting into Drupal and trying to
> make sense of what version to use. I've seen people giving others
> what I consider to be very bad advice and representing a state of
> stability/readiness for Drupal 6 which, in my considered *opinion*,
> is just not there.

I admit that I tend to stay on the database side of things and a lot of
what I do is fix deficiencies in the Drupal model by moving them
properly into the database and having Drupal called stored procedures
etc.. but I can say that the customers that we deal with are sticking
with 5 precisely because of the concerns on this thread.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake