[development] RFC: drupal as a moving target

Robert Douglass rob at robshouse.net
Wed Apr 30 21:09:49 UTC 2008

On Apr 30, 2008, at 6:45 PM, Daniel F. Kudwien wrote:

> D6 is a great release, but given these facts, we might consider to
> release Drupal core not by date, but when important modules in
> contrib are ready.  I.e. what buys me a modular system, if there are
> only a few modules available?

I'm sorry but I think the idea of delaying Drupal 6 until - let's say
Views - is ported, is nonsense. I understand that for a lot of people
no Views makes Drupal 6 unusable, but this is not everybody. There are
actually a lot of Drupal 6 sites that have already launched, and we
have already released two point upgrades to the original 6.0. What
kind of interest would there have been in finding the bugs that
prompted 6.1 and 6.2 if it were *unreleased*?

What is so wrong with waiting for contrib to catch up? This is a
problem that you will never solve. As soon as Views is adequately in
core and thus tied at the hip to core's release cycle, there will be
another killer module that everybody comes to love, in contrib. It too
will have to wait until a release to really finalize its porting.

Now, if you as a business decide to skip D6 because Views isn't ready
now (where it clearly will be in a small number of months, at the
latest), you are effectively deciding to use outdated Drupal
technology for most of a year, if not longer, until Drupal 7 is
released. My guess is that the killer modules that add great value to
Drupal 6 won't be all ported the day Drupal 7 is released, either, so
you'll be stuck again. In case, I pity you for deciding not to do
projects on Drupal 6 at all, and holding out for whatever you imagine
Drupal 7 is going to be. I can't see how this will be an advantage for
you.

Furthermore, I don't see it as worrisome if people aren't rushing to
do projects on D6 yet. They will. When Views and CCK and OG are all
stable there will be a stampede to D6. The fact that this is separated
from the release of D6 by some months is totally normal, in my opinion.

Let Drupal 6 mature. Sure there are some things we can do to  refine
the process, but you just can't have it all at once. Not now, not
ever. Learn some patience.

-Robert