[development] Choosing the N number for .install's hook_update_N

Adam Moore amoore5 at ucmerced.edu
Thu Aug 7 16:15:22 UTC 2008

Derek Wright wrote:

> On Aug 7, 2008, at 6:00 AM, Morbus Iff wrote:
>
>> Actually, I agree with Earnie here ;)
>
> FWIW, I agree with Freso, instead. ;)
>
> But, that's the miracle of our community (and our tightly integrated
> project/release management system) -- each developer is free to decide
> what makes sense for them. ;)

FWIW, coming from an end-user perspective I expect version 6.x-1.x to be
an older feature set than what 5.x-2.x has.  Also let's say I am
upgrading from D5 to D6.  If I need to upgrade a module that has an api
and  I was on 5.x-2.x, at first glance I would feel that going to
6.x-1.x the api's would not be compatible even though they might be.