[development] Choosing the N number for .install's hook_update_N

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Thu Aug 7 16:35:50 UTC 2008

On Aug 7, 2008, at 9:15 AM, Adam Moore wrote:

> FWIW, coming from an end-user perspective I expect version 6.x-1.x
> to be an older feature set than what 5.x-2.x has.

What other software has the very first digit go up and the feature
set go down?  I'm surprised to hear you have this expectation, and
I'm curious how wide-spread it is.

One example out of thousands: PHP went from 4.4.* to 5.0.* and no one
thought "0 is smaller than 4, this must be an older feature set --
where can I find 5.4.*?"

Cheers,
-Derek (dww)