[development] Choosing the N number for .install's hook_update_N

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Thu Aug 7 17:43:54 UTC 2008

>> I want the latest version of the *module*, not the
 >> latest version of Drupal core and then the module.
>
> That's the point of embedding the core version in the version strings
> of contrib in the first place.  What you want is fallacy.  You can't
> possibly not care what version of core you're using, since Drupal is
> inherently non-compatible across versions of core.  In Drupal
> contrib, the world revolves around core.  I just chose to embed that
> indisputable fact into the version strings themselves.

For what it's worth, you're mixing the _technical_ implications of the
version number with the _perceptive_ implications of said version
number. As my remitted quote suggests: I don't visually "see" the 5.x or
the 6.x because I mentally treat them *solely as compatibility*, not as
a literal relation to the module's version number.

If the page states:

   6.x-1.0 Recommended for 6.x
   5.x-2.1 Recommended for 5.x

I "see":

   1.0 Recommended for 6.x
   2.1 Recommended for 5.x

and wonder why there's no 2.1 release for 6.x.

Anyways. I'll hush.

SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER

--
Morbus Iff ( get on the floor. baby, lose control. )
Enjoy: http://www.disobey.com/ and http://www.videounderbelly.com/