[development] What about reviewing patches?

Chris Johnson cxjohnson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 14:05:23 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 3:45 PM, Nathaniel Catchpole
<catch56 at googlemail.com> wrote:

> So if you already have HEAD installed (I pretty much only clean my
> database before or after reviewing a patch with an upgrade path or
> schema change), you can do this:
>
> // clean your HEAD of old changes.
> cvs -q diff | patch -p0 -R
>
> wget http://drupal.org/files/issues/somepatch.patch
>
> patch -p0 < somepatch.patch
>
> 1 out of 1 hunks failed etc.
>
> Mark to code needs work with 'needs a re-roll'.

> Also simpletest is a much, much easier and more comprehensive way to
> avoid regressions that installing devel, generating content and
> clicking around. So that stage is reduced to: admin/build/modules
> enable simpletest
> admin/build/testing run all tests

Brilliant.  We need more of this kind of cook-book, how to do
something quickly and efficiently sort of documentation.

I've been using cvs and patch for about 25 years, and I never thought
to combine them in "cvs -q diff | patch -p0 -R".  There's always
something new to learn.  (I think simply running "cvs update -C" gets
you the same end result.)