[development] Multi-instance Drupal Deployment

Steven Surowiec steven at digitalpulp.com
Fri Dec 5 20:20:11 UTC 2008

Hello all,
    I've using Drupal at lot at work lately and have some pretty big
Drupal projects coming up and have been facing the same problem with all
of the previous projects that I would like to get worked out before
these new ones get going. And that is handling Drupal deployment in a
multi-instance environment (multiple developers with local installs, a
singular development server, a staging server and the production
server). I can, and currently am, setting up Phing to do most of the
work for me of handling SVN during the deploys and running any custom
scripts. But the big hurdle is the database. Particularly the fact that
there's a lot of admin-editable settings that are stored in various
database tables. I was wondering if anyone else has had to deal with
this before and any insight into the problem would help.