[development] Finding logic flaw in wishlist module

Tony Yarusso tonyyarusso at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 21:11:45 UTC 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 9:03 AM, Scott McLewin <drupal at mclewin.com> wrote:
> Tony,
>
> I'm the maintainer of that module, and the wishlist issue queue is the place
> to file issues.
>
> On this particular concern the module won't allow anonymous users to
> purchase items by design.  Two reasons. 1) there's also a "put a gift back"
> capability that requires that we know who the user is.

Yeah, although for my personal purposes that wasn't terribly important.

> 2) if anonymous
> users can get gifts off the list, than crawlers will end up following those
> links and will mark all your items purchased in a matter of days.  Anonymous
> users see the non-functional "get this gift" link to drive them to click it,
> see that they need an account, and then enroll with your site.
>
> If you file an issue asking to allow anonymous users to purchase items, I'll
> reject it.  :)

Aaaah.  I hadn't thought of the crawler issue.  I knew there was some
logical reason for anonymous purchases to be deliberately disallowed
(which is why I was trying to mess with this on my own instead of
using the issue queue), but wasn't sure what.  Thanks for the
explanation.

> If you've found another problem during your research, I do want to hear
> about it.  File the details in the wishlist module's issue queue.
>
> Scott

I may have to submit a patch just with some extra comments then.  ;)

--
Tony Yarusso
http://tonyyarusso.com/