[development] creating new content type

Chris Johnson cxjohnson at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 18:23:31 UTC 2008

hook_insert and hook_update are hooks for node modules.  If your new
content type is not going to store any data in the node table, it will
not be a node module.

Most new content types extend the node type.  They may extend the
kinds and fields of data stored in the node table (and related tables,
such as node_revisions) with their own database table.  This is when
you would use hook_insert and hook_update, so insert and update your
table whenever the corresponding records in the node tables were
inserted or updated.

Take a look at the node_example.module:
http://api.drupal.org/api/file/developer/examples/node_example.module/6/source

..chris