[development] rich text editor

Moshe Weitzman weitzman at tejasa.com
Mon Feb 4 16:07:07 UTC 2008

On Feb 4, 2008 9:12 AM, catch <catch56 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Gabor's blog post is useful, input formats are definitely the real issue
> with this.

Input formats are important, but not really for the reasons that Gabor
mentioned. Consider the comment field on groups.drupal.org. I recently
added live preview to this textarea and  am quite pleased with the
results. For example, start typing into a comment into
http://groups.drupal.org/node/8140. Note the Preview below. Users can
author in Markdown (or HTML) and receive immediate feedback about
their presentation. It is WYSIWYG, but he intelligence is on the
server, not the client. I don't think a client will ever have have
markdown.php nor will it understand all our filters for inserting
images, inserting Views, etc. IMO, the best bet is a tag
insertion/filter insertion module on the client and leave the WYSIYG
to live.module.