[development] rich text editor

Sean Robertson seanr at ngpsoftware.com
Mon Feb 4 18:40:57 UTC 2008

I use WYSIWYG editors on my sites, but as a designer, I absolutely hate
having to.  The reason why is that one, they don;t work well, often
producing crap code, and two, they allow the end user control over
appearance in ways that I don't think them well enough trained to
deserve. ;-)

The first problem most often manifests itself when users past directly
from Word into the editor rather than using the Paste From Word feature
in TinyMCE or any similar feature in the others.  Word produces crap
code, but the users don't know that, and no matter how much we try to
train them, they still don't use the correct paste function.  CTRL+V in
the editor window should be caught and automatically mapped to that
Paste From Word function.  Furthermore, the editor needs to do a better
job of cleaning up code before sending it to the server regardless - it
should simply not allow me to enter malformed code.

The second is one of aesthetics.  We've all seen idiots put bold
underlined text in word docs that isn't linked or meant to be.  Then
there are all the people who insist on using at least three fonts in a
page.  Anyone using any of my sites will note I've disabled the
underline and color buttons as well as all the font and size drop downs,
allowing only the basic bold, left and right align, link, unlink, image
and paste from word buttons, and the format select element (they can
make something an H3 if they want to use my style for that, but they
can't change the font manually unless they know HTML).

Any solution in code would need to address both of those concerns for
me.  I'm very picky about producing standards compliant code and I don't
want my editor making it easier for clients to screw that up than it
needs to be.  It's telling that when CNET.com did a standards compliance
survey of 1000 US political sites two years ago, one of my sites was in
the only 31 that passed, and it was the only one of my sites that the
clients hadn't updated content on yet. :-/

--
Sean Robertson
Web Developer
seanr at ngpsoftware.com