[development] rich text editor

David Metzler metzlerd at metzlerd.com
Tue Feb 5 04:42:49 UTC 2008

Yes there were several discussions about this prior to code freeze
for D6.  Issues were filed which mainly got marked as postponed, for
all the right reasons.

I submitted one myself, but have since come to believe that Gabor has
the closest take on this.  I'd love to see the ability for RTE enable/
disable to be tied to the type of markup rather than wether we have a
textarea field.  Basically I think it boils down to giving the RTE
maintainers some meta data beyond is it a text area.

Currently it's difficult to tell the difference between a textarea
filed that's designed for a "show this block on these pages" textarea
and a "Here's the HTML markup for the view header" textarea.  Ideally
we need to know which input filters are selected and be able to say,
"enable or disable RTE for these textareas.".  There might be a way
to do this by examining the forms array in a form alter hook. but if
it is realy easy, I'd love to see at minimum helper functions to
attempt this.  There's a lot of room for improvement here without
trying to solve all of the issues associated with RTE's.

Dave