[development] rich text editor

Karoly Negyesi karoly at negyesi.net
Mon Feb 4 13:39:47 UTC 2008

I believe I said about N times that there should be one module which

* keeps a tally of all textareas
* provides some UI which lets you configure whether you want a real time editor with a certain textarea (checkbox, JS link)

This is totally doable in contrib, I am touting such a module in contrib ever since fapi is, which approx two years and yet noone has written one. I guess its easier to whine at the core developers at every possible occassion. Thanks god we disabled comments on announcements -- less whine.

I see the overwhelming pressure for an RTE in core. Here we have a problem:

* there are many input formats
* some freak out from a simple tag inserter because then the one bit users see HTML code and apparently this is just too much.

The answer might be that "hey you need variety? great, there are many editors in contrib" but then, people really want an editor for core. Let's see

* The thread starter http://batiste.dosimple.ch/blog/posts/2007-09-11-1/rich-text-editor-jquery.html is the first editor that does not fill me with sheer unadulterated dread. We still need to check whether the HTML it produces is valid. But at least it uses jQuery and is *small*. Very, very small and thats how I like it.

* If you want another editor than this little one, still, contrib modules are many.

* We could put the RTE attribute registry into core provided some writes one. I am not holding my breath.

Regards,

NK