[development] rich text editor

Gábor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Mon Feb 4 13:50:58 UTC 2008

On Feb 4, 2008 2:39 PM, Karoly Negyesi <karoly at negyesi.net> wrote:
> I believe I said about N times that there should be one module which
>
> * keeps a tally of all textareas
> * provides some UI which lets you configure whether you want a real time editor with a certain textarea (checkbox, JS link)
>
> This is totally doable in contrib, I am touting such a module in contrib ever since fapi is, which approx two years and yet noone has written one.

Well, it would not be admin/user friendly, so there is no point. RTEs
are not tied to text areas, but the format they generate/support
(bbcode, HTML, whatever), so it is not an RTEs to textareas but an
RTEs to input fields with a certain format relation. Once we cleaned
this up, there is much less input fields to do exceptions with (ie. a
HTML RTE will not show up on fields with bbcode input or which is just
check_plain()ed, because we know what happens with the input, so we
can tell whether an RTE should be there (and with what config) or
not).

> * We could put the RTE attribute registry into core provided some writes one. I am not holding my breath.

I am not much excited about an RTE in core, it will take time to agree
on one, but I am excited about doing RTE support right, so that
whatever RTE you use, the admin experience is smooth as well.

See also: http://hojtsy.hu/blog/2008-feb-04/supporting-wysiwyg-editing-better-drupal-battle-plan

Gabor