[development] ecommerce things

FGM fgm at osinet.fr
Wed Feb 6 07:49:19 UTC 2008

It really depends on what you call "bulk". I have such a site with over 100k
SKUs, updated weekly, and creating/deleting the whole node set every week is
not something you want to do. OTOH, if you're in the 1k SKUs, this is still
reasonable.

The key concept for such volume use, though, appears to be lazy node
creation (only create product nodes when you actually want a transaction
involving them). This has been discussed recently (maybe it was one some
planet blog ?), and others pointed to similar mechanisms on their own
project. The problem is that ecommerce (and AFAIK, ubercart) have no support
for such mechanisms, only being able to work on product nodes, not create
nodes on the fly from non-drupal data.