[development] gearing up for a 6.0 RC4

catch catch56 at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 7 15:05:24 UTC 2008

On Feb 7, 2008 2:46 PM, Nancy Wichmann  wrote:

> I'd really like to see the "pending bugs" list reduced quite a bit before
> 6.0 rolls out.  I don't know about anyone else, but rolling a new version
> with 82 known bugs seems a bit presumptuous to me.  As a matter of fact, I
> see some on the list that I would consider more important than "normal,"
> if
> not "critical."
>
> Nancy E. Wichmann, PMP

Some of those 82 pending bugs have been around since 4.7 or earlier, many of
them are duplicates of other things which have already been fixed or
postponed to D7, some haven't been reproduced yet. If you'd like to see that
list reduced before release, the best thing to do is to dive into that queue
and work out what is and isn't valid, explain steps to reproduce (many of
those reports don't have any), supply a patch etc. And if you consider
something critical, then mark it as such with your justifications - someone
will always mark it back to 'normal' if they disagree.

Many of the patches in the 'patch queue' - currently running at 381 - are
for bugs as well, so there's plenty of material to work with.

This is the first release where there's been a running count attached to the
bug and patch queues (that I know of) - I'd be willing to bet that 4.7 and
5.x were released with more than there currently is against D6. There's also
plenty of bugs in D5 that are dealt with in D6 but required fundamental api
changes that'll never be backported. It goes both ways.