[development] module announcements and duplication Re: New Drupal Logging to text file Module

Greg Knaddison - GVS Greg at GrowingVentureSolutions.com
Mon Feb 11 13:37:03 UTC 2008

Hi,

Thanks for these new modules.  They definitely seem useful.

Based on the past year of data we get 4.1 new modules per day on Drupal.org

If people want to know about all of them they can subscribe to
http://drupal.org/taxonomy/term/14/0
If they want to know about the "important" ones they can subscribe to
http://drupaldashboard.com/feed-item/43

I don't think announcing them on the Development list is a good idea in general.

On Feb 11, 2008 11:03 AM, Ian Bezanson <irb at ianbezanson.ca> wrote:
> The company I work for bases all of our projects on the Drupal
> infratructure.  The watchdog application simply doesn't work for us, so
> I'd created a module to log messages to file in the format:
>
> 00:00:58 [module::function_name][LOG_LEVEL]: Checking to see if user
> 0c2f977cc24e4e41d8cd6d9a4099ab0b is anonymous.

This sounds a lot like the syslog and/or trace and/or log4drupal functionality

http://drupal.org/node/149341
http://drupal.org/project/trace
http://www.johnandcailin.com/blog/cailin/log4drupal-logging-api-drupal

As a module developer, I don't want to have to choose which one of
these I support or (worse) include calls to all three.  I'd rather see
this project merged with those projects so we can have the "one true
logging module" instead of "3 logging modules that do similar things
and which in the end make life harder for developers and site admins".

Thanks,
Greg

--
Greg Knaddison