[development] Views 2 UI

Earl Miles merlin at logrus.com
Mon Feb 18 06:51:57 UTC 2008

Keith Smith wrote:
> I recently promised merlinofchaos that I would help with the Views 2
> documentation. I'm glad that I did.
>
> In reviewing Drupal 6 reviews posted across the web, I'd recently read
> the "Views preview" section of the post
> http://tek4dpipol.blogspot.com/2008/02/look-at-drupal-6-core-features-2.html,
> complete with screenshot. I'd seen various Views UI related posts on
> g.d.o, though I didn't follow any of them closely. I'd seen UI-related
> discussion scroll past in IRC. I assumed I was pretty well on top of
> "state of the art" Drupal interface designs.
>
> I was so very wrong.
>
> I checked out Views 2 over the weekend, in order to get a feel for how I
> might could help with strings and documentation. It is fair to say that
> the new interface "blew me away." It is not evolutionary, but
> revolutionary. Thomas Kuhn would call it a paradigm shift. It's damn sexy.
>
> Earl, what I've seen so far is just fantastic. You -- and everyone who
> has helped you with this -- have made something special here. I think I
> want to be you when I grow up.
>
> --ks

Thanks Keith!

I rolled an official alpha release so people can play with this. I'm
very interested in feedback about this UI from the community (admittedly
I like positive feedback here, but I'll accept the negative too =)

Personally, this UI feels far, far better than I thought it would. And I
am likely biased; I understand it very well. But manipulating a view is
easy. My only question is...how difficult is this to understand? The
idea here is that it's broken up into bite-sized chunks so that the
amount of understanding needed at any given time is reduced. I think
that helps a lot.

Here's the release announcement and a screenshot:
http://www.angrydonuts.com/views-6-x-2-0-alpha-2-released