[development] Module developers, please do *proper* releases !

Omar Abdel-Wahab owahab at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 13:30:10 UTC 2008

On Feb 18, 2008 3:08 PM, Xavier Bestel <xavier.bestel at free.fr> wrote:
> So ?
> Ready when ready, I agree with that. But two successive versions should
> be called 5.x-1.(n) and 5.x-1.(n+1), with (n) and (n+1) being actual
> numbers, not 5.x-1.x-dev and 5.x-1.x-dev.
>
> Look at the video module for example: not a single 5.x stable release,
> it went through numerous versions, all called 5.x-1.x-dev.
> If you don't use the update module, you're screwed.
>
> What does it cost to just change the *name* of the versions ?
>
>         Xav

I still see this as an option.

We can not restrict or enforce a specific policy for module
maintainers to follow.
Once again, this is contributing. I code something and see it as
useful for others so I put it on d.o. It's not my responsibility that
someone doesn't see this as useful.

One more thing: IMO, some developers only commit code when it's tested
thoroughly thus their -dev remains usable and production-ready almost
all the time while others may commit code to allow other
co-maintainers/users/developers to test.

I see no point in enforcing some policy regarding contributions releases.

--
Please don't send me Word or any other Microsoft formatted attachments.
I can't read and won't bother reading these proprietary formats so please send